Thursday, June 12, 2014

Drink 13: The Traveling Teddy Bear



The Name: The Traveling Teddy Bear                                                                     

The Bar: Blue Bar (59 West 44th Street, in the Algonquin Hotel)

The Story Behind The Name: When we are younger, we all become attached to our toys. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but sometimes we just connect with them. They're important, and they're meaningful. The bond between a person and their childhood toys is truly everlasting. This is why everyone cries at the end of Toy Story 3.

If you claim that you didn't cry, then you're a liar. A bald-faced liar. Everyone cried.

For me, the most important toy of my childhood was my teddy bear, uncreatively named "Baby." Given to me before I was born, Baby has grown up with me. As a logical adult, I'm not exactly sure why Baby had such an effect on me. As you can see in the pictures below, his expression is kind of sad and he looks perpetually worried-- it's a little unsettling. I guess I attached to baby because he was so soft, but I really don't know. All I know is that Baby has been a part of my life for my entire life. Most of my friends have met baby at this point, and the two of us have grown up together. At one point, as I was growing up, I decided that Baby would be renamed "Kid," but this new name never lasted. He's 24 years old now, but he will always be Baby, and he still sits by my bed every night.

Baby is also the one item that I cannot travel without. If I'm going anywhere, Baby is going with me. Anywhere I've traveled, Baby has traveled there too. He came to college with me, and is next to me as I right this post right now. Most impressively, he's been to three continents and eight countries.This makes him a traveling teddy bear-- the namesake of this drink.

Baby's status as the traveling teddy bear was cemented on a recent family trip to Barcelona. Before we went, my parents decided to make Baby a passport.


Baby poses with his passport.

A lot of effort clearly went into this project. They later told me that it took several hours to complete, which seems like a lot of time to spend on something so silly. But, regardless, Baby is now a certified traveling teddy bear.


He has a passport picture and everything.
As we entered Spain, my mom really wanted to try and get the customs people to stamp Baby's passport. We decided not to do this, as customs people are not really known for their sense of humor and we didn't want to be flagged on the return flight home.

Ordering The Drink:  Since I work in Times Square, I obviously, spend a lot of time there. And, knowing that I have a drinks blog to maintain (to my regular readers, I apologize for how long it has been between posts-- I've been super busy but should be able to update more regularly now) I researched some of the best bars for cocktails in the area. There are three bars which constantly appear on this list, and I've been to two of them (which have given me the two best drinks I've had for this blog so far) so I was curious to try the third. I went to that bar to order this drink and...it was too crowded and I was told there was a twenty minute wait. I decided to wait for another day. After all, since I'm in the area, I'll have multiple opportunities to go to the bar.

I've now visited that bar three times and been unable to get in because it's been so crowded.

I still plan to go there at some point-- maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be a spot at the bar for me, so watch this space! [UPDATE: I have since gone to this bar, and you can read about my experience here.] But on the third occasion where I had to leave, I passed by another bar I'd not heard of-- called Blue Bar, which is located in the Algonquin Hotel. I looked in and it seemed like it could be interesting. Plus, I really wanted to order the Traveling Teddy Bear, so I decided to take a risk and try Blue Bar.

Upon stepping in, it's obvious how Blue Bar got its name-- it's blue. Really blue. Bright blue lights everywhere. If you don't like the color blue, do not go here.

It's really blue, guys.


Seriously, look at this place!
This photo has not been altered...but it's even bluer in person.

I went to the bar and was greeted by a friendly Romanian man named Cristian. He certainly gave me the warmest greeting I've gotten in the pursuit of this blog-- incredibly nice. To be honest, I had found the blueness of the room a little off-putting, but Cristian made me feel right at home.

I asked if he could make me a drink based on a name alone and he jovially replied "Absolutely! Anything you want!" and, after I told him the chosen name, he set about making the drink.

Cristian at work.

The Drink:

Drinks in the picture may be less-blue than they appear.
Ron Zacapa Rum
Herradura Tequila
Sherry
Grapefruit Juice
Green Apple Puree 

Assessment of Drink:

Cristian did not disappoint. This was a really great drink. Cristian made it very strong (he told me his mantra that "No drink should have less than three different alcohols in it"), but despite how strong it was, it was surprisingly smooth-- it didn't feel too overpowering and went down easily. I think that the secret ingredient here was the green apple puree. Although I love granny smith apples, I tend to stay away from anything green apple flavored as it almost always tastes artificial, but here it was absolutely perfect-- it complemented the tartness of the grapefruit juice while also adding the sweetness that the drink really needed. It was an unusual drink-- if I saw this list of ingredients on a menu together I wouldn't really know what to think, and the sherry and green apple could have easily seemed out of place, but it really worked.

The Traveling Teddy Bear from another angle, where you can see a bit more of the brownish coloring.
 
Does It Live Up To The Name:

I was worried going into the bar about getting a childish drink, but as already mentioned, this was probably one of the strongest drinks I've gotten on this blog (thanks, Cristian!) Cristian later elaborated on his thought process-- he wanted to give me something sweet, but strong, and that makes a lot of sense. A traveling teddy bear has clearly been around a long time--my own traveling teddy bear, after all, is a stuffed animal that has lasted for 24 years. So, "sweet but strong" is definitely the right vibe to aim for when making this drink, I think. The sweetness of the green apple and the sherry complimented the strength of the rum and tequila.

While I don't know if Cristian did this intentionally, the eclectic nature of the ingredients definitely made me think of travel. Sherry plus tequila isn't a combination you see every day (it has been a recent trend to combine them, but isn't a classic combination by any definition of the term).

Ultimately, I had a very positive experience. If you can handle the incredible amounts of blue in the Blue Bar, it's worth a visit. Hopefully you'll get to meet Cristian while you're there-- be sure to try his signature drink, a twist on the Manhattan.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet and strong seems right. Knowing Baby as well as I do, I know he'd appreciate this drink and might even change his expression of bewilderment to delighted surprise. Which can look like bewilderment.

    ReplyDelete